Preformed Zirconia “White” Crowns
Our office offers white crowns (Sprig EZ Crowns) as an alternative to stainless steel “silver” crowns for select cases.
Zirconia crowns are a great esthetic option for full coverage of a tooth and are necessary when the tooth has a cavity that is too large for a filling.
Benefits of zirconia crowns:
- Esthetically pleasing – they look just like a healthy tooth
- Strong and long lasting
- Zirconia crowns can cause less gingival (gum) inflammation in some cases in comparison to stainless steel crowns
Cons of zirconia crowns:
- May not be covered by insurance or may require an additional out of pocket cost
- More time consuming – it will take more time to place and will often require more patient cooperation
- More tooth reduction required
- More healing time – it may take longer for a patient to heal after a zirconia crown in comparison to a stainless steel crown, due to the amount of tooth reduction required. A stainless steel crown can bend and snap onto a tooth quickly and easily, a zirconia crown requires us to make the tooth fit the crown.